Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Full, Low Moon

The moon is full and low and staring right over Campus Point. I could surf it if there were waves and another willing surfer.

But there aren't any waves this night. I did find some north of my sweet spot today, noonish. Had to contest a whiskery sea lion for it, but I got some nice rides. There were three little boys, about 12, shivering on the beach holding their boogie boards. I waited, and I had to swim around to keep away from that sea lion, but I chose the right wave, a nice one that steeped up and slowly waltzed in. I was surprised when I made the next connection and kept going, but I kept my eyes on those three boys standing on the beach just watching me. Not saying anything, but watching me from beginning to end. The ride ended, they stopped looking, we went on with our lives.



This morning, I found another "embarrassment of riches" as Tbone put it. Today, more than ever. I think I found three rare greens, another periwinkle (found a good sized one Saturday along with a tiny orange shard) and a mysterious smoky, well-loved chunk.


 I had only a short time to hunt this morning, but as I was leaving the Call Box I saw Chris coming to check on the Snowy Plovers. I showed her some of my chunks, particularly the candy apple green. She said to look up depression era vaseline glass. "What?" I wasn't sure I heard her right, but I had. 

I looked it up, but I am still so uncertain what these colors and shapes mean. Sometimes the color is right, but the seaglass here is so flat.




No comments:

Post a Comment